Choosing the Right Toner for Your Skin Type
We talk often of the importance of washing your face morning and night and in applying moisturizer and other creams, but do you hear of using toner often? Toner can be a powerful tool in your skin's health and appearance. We are here to give you the details on why you should use toner and what it can do to help your skin.
What is toner?
Toner has come a long way in recent years in being better for your skin and proves to be a helpful tool in cleansing the skin. Most toners contain ingredients that help clear the pores and keep the skin free from harmful pollutants and other grime. Simply speaking, toner is a liquid that quickly penetrates the skin to help give it hydration while it helps clear the skin of dead skin and other impurities.
What does it do for the skin?
Your skin's health and quality can be greatly improved by using toner. Here are some of the effects it has on the skin.
It Shrinks Your Pores
Because toner works to remove oil, dirt, and other debris that can clog your pores, it helps give your pores the appearance of being smaller and helps prevent them from enlarging due to being clogged.
It Gives Your Skin A Layer of Protection
Closed pores help protect your skin from having impurities penetrate the skin's barrier. This being said, a toner helps immensely by giving your skin the protection you need.
It Provides Moisture to the Skin
Many toners have ingredients that can provide hydration for your skin. This can be a great way to keep your skin moisturized without it being made oily.
It Gives the Skin Refreshment
You'll love the feel of your skin as you use toner to cleanse it. If your skin is dirty or oily, toner can help clean it on the go without having to wash it with a regular cleanser.
It Restores the Skin's pH Balance
The skin is a naturally acidic part of our bodies, and washing can sometimes throw that off. Soap has an alkaline nature so using a toner to balance out the pH of your skin can be of great help.
When should I use toner?
Using toner doesn't have to be complicated, but it does need to be used at a certain time in your skin care routine. The best time to use a toner is after you've cleansed your face thoroughly. If you've worn makeup throughout the day, it is recommended to wash twice. The first wash can remove the makeup and build-up from the day, and the second wash can get to the pores and help clean them out.
Once your skin is well-cleansed, it's important to use the toner then. This way the toner can get deep down into the pores and do the job it is intended. One important, and somewhat strange, tip is to use toner within a minute after you cleanse your face. It really helps the ingredients penetrate the skin while the face is wet, and will yield better results.
How should I use a toner?
You may be wondering how to use toner. When you apply toner, you can either use your bare hands or use a cotton pad or cotton ball. You can gently wet your face with the toner and spread it around on the skin so that it is able to work into the pores.
Which toners are worth investing in?
There are a lot of great options for toners that can be helpful to your skin, no matter what skin type you might have. LaLa Daisy can help you find the right toner for you. Here are some of our favorites:
- Jane Iredale Beauty Prep Facial Toner - This toner works to balance the pH of your skin while gently cleansing the pores and moisturizing the skin.
- Elemis Balancing Lavender Toner - This toner will help balance the oil levels in your skin and works well to remove any impurities that may rest on the skin and clog the pores.
- Elemis Rehydrating Ginseng Toner - If you have dry skin, this toner can help moisturize and alleviate the dryness your skin may experience.
- Peter Thomas Roth 8% Glycolic Solutions Toner - The glycolic acid in this formula helps exfoliate dead skin cells and helps healthy, bright skin shine through. This is a great choice for any skin type and will help even any skin tone.
- L'Occitane Shea Butter Gentle Toner - The cleaning away of oil and impurities is the specialty of this toner. This toner will ensure your skin gets the cleansing it needs as well as hydration.
Also in Beauty Blog
You may have thought that your pimples were going to go the way of braces and shyness around the opposite sex, but unfortunately, they often last way past your teenage years. Adult acne sucks. Here are our favorite adult acne products.